Did you know that men are less likely to take care of their overall health than women? Along with ignoring their general well-being, studies show that men also tend to ignore their dental health, much to their significant other’s chagrin. One reason why is because of the old proverb: “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.” Some extend this mentality to their dental health. Is this a good idea?
Regular preventative dental care is proven to not only extend the life of our teeth, but also contribute to better health and quality of life. Since men may tend to only visit the dentist when there’s a problem, and statistics show that men brush just under twice a day, they lose about five teeth by the age of 72 on average. Men also have an increased risk of developing gum disease and oral cancers due to fewer dental check ups, and because men smoke more than women.
Old Habits Die Hard
It’s true, replacing ingrained and unhealthy habits with new ones takes a bit of work. But starting the change to replace or establish new habits is the hardest part. Taking care of your oral health takes just a few minutes each day and pays off in the long run.
See good results by following these tips:
- Brush twice a day for two minutes each time. There are no short cuts if you want to have a healthy mouth.
- Floss everyday. Flossing gets rid of extra plaque buildup and the remaining bits of food stuck in your teeth. Flossing significantly decreases the risk of cavities, tooth loss and gum disease. To avoid costly dental bills, floss every day.
- Visit the Sacramento Dentistry Group twice a year. Our professional and efficient Sacramento dentists provide complete checkups that include oral cancer screenings, and thorough cleanings to remove stubborn plaque and tartar buildup that escapes your toothbrush and dental floss. Just as a clean engine runs smoothly as a result of regular maintenance and oil changes, your mouth needs regular maintenance every six months to avoid dental problems.
- Don’t smoke or use any form of tobacco! It’s ultimately very unhealthy for your mouth and body. The dentists at the Sacramento Dentistry Group take your health seriously and want you to know that most oral cancers develop in men who smoke or chew tobacco. If you do use tobacco, we know it’s hard to quit, but be sure to visit us for regular cleaning and oral cancer screening checks.
- Be on guard against medication dry mouth. Since men are more likely to be on medications to control blood pressure, it’s important to know about this side effect that impacts oral health. If you have dry mouth, it means you have less saliva, which contains minerals that fight cavities. Use oral rinses designed to reduce dry mouth symptoms and be sure to let your Sacramento dentists know that you experience this so they can give you more tips to combat dry mouth symptoms and maintain good oral health.
Man up if you want to live long and keep your teeth! Taking care of your oral health has good effects on the rest of your body and the dental specialists at the Sacramento Dentistry Group are conveniently located downtown with free parking. Call us to schedule an appointment (916-538-6900) or visit us on our website for our appointment request form and more articles about oral health.