So You Want to Be a Dentist!

Why Become a Dentist

Why should someone consider a career as a dentist? For life examples, you can always meet our dentists here at the Sacramento Dentistry Group. You can also consider the following facts from the American Dental Association that explain why many people become one of the approximately six thousand dentists who graduate from U.S. dental schools every year.

Why Become a Dentist?

  • Dentistry regularly ranks in the top ten for “most trusted” and “most ethical” professions in the United States.
  • Dentistry is a medical profession that combines artistic talents with the ability to prevent and heal disease.
  • Dentists immediately see the effects of their treatments to improve their patients’ appearance and health every single day.
  • Choice is an option, as 80% of dentists are general practitioners, while the other 20% choose from one of nine different dental specialties.
  • Improvements in technology consistently make the dentist’s job easier while improving patient satisfaction.
  • Large numbers of dentists are projected to retire in the near future, opening up opportunities for dental school graduates.

How to Prepare for Dentistry

  • Start in high school by focusing your study on science and mathematics.
  • An undergraduate degree in science is very helpful to the potential dental student.
  • Volunteer at a local dental practice to get experience and to decide if the profession is right for you.
  • Sign up for the Dental Admissions Test (DAT) at least one year before your dental schooling would begin.

If you have questions about dentistry or becoming a dentist, visit the many pages about dental topics here on sacramentodentistry.com, or ask one of our Sacramento dentists for advice the next time you visit our downtown office.

Sacramento Dentistry
webmaster@sacramentodentistry.com
No Comments

Leave a Reply